Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Post 112: Mccrory - Dog and Preacher Trouble



     Corey developed a severe allergic reaction while we were building the house. He was finally hospitalized, and they started letting him eat one food at a time to try to pinpoint the problem. He chose hot dogs, then added hamburgers, then ice cream. He missed the County Fair, and got to stand, in his cute little hospital gown, looking dejectedly out the window while his classmates next door had a big time at the Fair. But he got out in time for the last day of the Fair. The doctor suspected cotton defoliants, but this was farming country so he didn't speak up real loudly about it. Then Corey recalled an airplane flying over the school one day at recess, defoliating a crop next to the school. The allergy finally went away, and has never returned.
     Always trying to find a way to make a little money, I drove a school bus. I once made a stop, turned on the lights, and the kids got off and headed across the road. A kid behind me lost his ball, and it rolled up under my feet. I reached down to get it out of my way, then looked up. The group of children were well across the road, so I started moving, just as a small boy, picking up a book he had dropped, stepped into my vision in front of the bus. I barely stopped in time. I still have nightmares about that. Another time, the steering wheel just came off in my hand. Fortunately, I got it stopped, still in the road. I once met a car on a narrow muddy road. I pulled over some, and the road bank caved off, and the bus just slowly lay over on its side. Nobody was hurt. The bus mechanic had to stretch cable come-a-longs down to 3 power poles to pull it back up, and told me, “The next time, let the car pull over out of YOUR way!”
     After I quit driving a bus, they were very short on substitutes. I finally agreed to help them out when they needed me, then noticed every time after a big thaw in the spring, when the bottom just fell out of those roads in the delta, a certain driver, a preacher, “needed” me every time it was very bad. Some places, you just automatically knew when you bailed off into a mud hole, you were going to bury up. There was always a farmer, with his big tractor, waiting to throw you a cable and pull you out, an every day thing during those times. But, you always got muddy halfway up to the knee when you did that. The preacher was a hard man to get your money from, too, so I quit the substituting business.
     Kinley was a sweet little girl. She was very ecology minded, too. Once, coming home from church in her best dress, a gum wrapper blew under the car as we got home. She crawled under the car to get it, ruining her new dress.
     We once noticed she always got bee stung on her leg on Sundays. Always on Sunday. We started investigating. She was wearing a long dress to church every Sunday, one that almost dragged the ground. Walking across flowering clover, she was trapping bees under her dress, and they stung her. A big problem solved.
     “Near the end of our lives, we come to realize, the ordinary is the extraordinary.” (Writer unknown)
That is especially true as I write about our kid's growing up years. Everyday occurrences become the things I remember.
     The summer of 1980 was very hot and dry. 112 degrees F. Was not unusual. Barbara and the kids went to church camp, and they regretted it.  No A/C. While they were gone, I went up to Wing, to set up my camper on the nine acres we had bought from Harold, and planned to fence it. I took the kid's pup, Blackie, along. The hill was high, dry an rocky, and I quickly wore myself down to nothing. I was so hot, I went down to the creek where the cold springs are, and just hung out in that hole awhile, like I used to do as a kid. When I got back to Harold's house, where I had left the pup, the dog was sick. Well, I knew no fence was going to get built that week, in that weather, 110 degrees or so. I took the sick pup and went home. He died that night of Parvo. I worried all week how I would break it to the kids. When they got back, Kinley was first in the door, wanted to know were Blackie was. I had to tell her, and I didn't handle it well. She just wailed, “but I want to play with him!” A bad summer.
     The next time I got back to Wing, Harold had a surprise for me. He had taken his tractor powered post hole digger, dug the holes, and built the fence. That's just Harold for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment