Friday, February 10, 2012

McCrory: The Rock Star


      Others in the athletic department seemed to resent the presence of girls involved in athletics, too.
The boys basketball coach just kept the good basketballs locked up in a special closet, only he had a key. Barbara asked for the key one day. "Those balls are for the boys." "Did you personally buy those balls?" "Well, no." "Then give me the key." He did. But Joe Hart, the legendary football coach, and, I realized when I got to Arkadelphia, a legendary player at HSU, was the Athletic Director, and very supportive of Barbara, as well as helpful, and he was a key figure in solving those kind of problems.
      We went to Wing for a visit, staying at brother Harold's. Shortly after lunch, we noticed Corey, Kinley, and Ken, about Corey's age and Harold's youngest, had just disappeared. We got to looking, and I finally discovered their trail, headed down into the bottoms. My kids were city kids, and I knew they could get into a lot of trouble in the Wing bottoms. I started tracking them. They were headed toward the Little Lake. I ran 50 steps, walked 50 steps, a method I used as a youngster to cover a lot of ground in a hurry. When I got close to the Little lake, the trail turned west. After 5 miles of trailing, I caught up with them. The boys were still slowly moving forward. but Kinley was wandering around in a road ditch, totally worn out. Barbara had put Harold, on his tractor, on my trail, and He soon caught up. They were glad to give up their adventuring for that day.
      Ken was always a gadget geek. He's a computer expert today. He had a new gadget that day, a lie detector. Kinley, about 5, agreed to be his subject. First question: "Do you eat buggers?" Kinley was shocked. "No! I have not!" Ken studied the detector. He finally declared, "She's lying." Everybody had a good laugh, and Kinley refused to answer any more questions.
      All this time, I was quietly teaching biology. All the excitement was in Barbara's court. I often took my classes around campus, studying the plants. I pointed out many edible ones. When they saw me eat one, they did too. One sharp youngster ran over to a row of tall plants. They already knew this one was edible, so everyone munched away. “Why are these so much taller here?” “That's because that's where the septic line runs.” Kids were spitting plants everywhere.
Like I said, my teaching life was pretty quiet now. I had to create some excitement where I could. Once, I had my class working on an assignment, and I quietly went around through another classroom to the outside. The younger kids were all sitting around or playing right outside of my classroom door. I called them over and asked a small favor. Getting back to my class, my students were finishing up. I asked them, “Why do you guys not treat me like the younger kids do? They treat me like a rock star.” They giggled and rolled their eyes. Some gagged. I said, “Here, let me show you.” I walked to the door, opened it, and the kids outside all started jumping up and down and screaming. First, extreme shock, then more eyes rolled, lots of gagging When the bell rang, many left with a very puzzled look. Over the years, it has proven out that those fun moments are the ones that stick in their mind a long time. Too bad I could never make biological facts stick that well.
      I had always thought, in the deep recesses of my mind, some day I will build my own house. Mostly by myself. I decided, this was the time. We borrowed $25,000 in 1978, and I set in. I didn't know how to build a house, but I knew how to use a saw and hammer. The rest I learned along the way. If I got to a point where I was stumped, I went and looked at other houses under construction, and just did like the big boys did. When I first started, and was doing the dirt work, a friend said, “I don't know how you ever make any progress. Every time I come by, you're leaning on your shovel.” Actually, I was very busy thinking. Trying to figure out what to do next. Actually, I dug the footing, with a shovel, in one day. Lots of sand, no rocks.
     It was pretty well framed up, and Kinley was sitting in the front yard, playing in the sand. She had a spoon in her hand, and dug up a spoon full of sand just as we saw the mosquitoes were eating her up. We scooped her up, along with her spoon full of sand, and she quietly reached down and pulled a gold ring from the spoon. We figured that was a good omen for the house.
      I was working on the master bathroom, when Barbara and Kinley came over with the news. Elvis Presley had just died.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed those stories from your class! The septic line...rock star treatment--lol. Do you remember seating 2 boys together in my class named Bell & Howell? You got a kick out of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, Dad... I don't remember signing a waver to use my name like this! Okay, so MAYBE I was a bugger eater. :)

    ReplyDelete