Saturday, February 25, 2012

McCrory Conclusion: Eating Runned' Over Deer


      Midnight soon replaced Blackie. He turned out to be a smart dog. I trained him to go out and get the paper every morning. That worked great. For awhile. Then, he began gathering up all the papers in the neighborhood, and tearing all of them up in our yard.
      In a moment of weakness, Barbara and I let the kids talk us into buying a long-haired Lsaha Apso puppy. Goldie sure was pretty, but there was really nobody in our family prepared to properly care for a dog like that.
      When Goldie got away from one of us, Midnight would chase her down, and hold her with his paw until we could get there.
      Corey was large for his age. In 5th grade basketball, he dominated. In one game, his team was ahead, 12-2. Corey had 14 points.
     When he drove to the wrong goal, Barbara was keeping the clock. When our screams to turn around went unheard, Barb was reaching for the buzzer. I had to grab her hand. She was about to cause a lot of trouble. Corey got in the habit of not jumping to rebound. That habit persisted when he was older, a big negative, because now the other guys had caught up with him in size.
      A photography studio was for sale in Arkadelphia. We bought it, and prepared to move. Then we both were hit by buyer's remorse. Especially me.Could we do this? Could I find a job? Could we feed our babies in the meantime?
      I drove down once to make arrangements in my old truck. On the way back, I saw a truck hit a deer. The deer was dead, the truck went on, so I picked it up and threw it in the back of my truck. When I got home, I dressed it and froze most of it. We were eating venison that night, and the doorbell rang. Kinley's eyes got real big, and she said, “Will they be able to tell that we're eating runned' over deer?”
Someone asked me later, “Do you deer hunt?” I replied, “No, but I do enjoy a good roadkill every now and then.”. She said “Oh.” and moved a little farther away.
      When we got to Arkadelphia, we realized the studio was about to go under. We started taking every photography job we could find. Some photographer told her, photographing dog shows can be really profitable. We located an upcoming dog show nearby, and were given the job on a commission basis. Well, as it turned out, this dog show didn't include show dogs, just your average hound dogs and such. We sat there all day and never snapped a shot! The good side of it was, we didn't owe one penny in commission. From that day forward, every time a job flopped, we called it a “Dog show.”
      Corey had thrown a no hitter last year in Baseball, and I was anxious to get him into the program here in Arkadelphia. I called the league director. "No," he said, "We've already had the draft" We argued about it a while, but he stood his ground. Corey had to set out a year, and he never got back to where he was in baseball. I thought about calling my lawyer friend in McCrory, seeing if he could throw a scare into the director. I should have. But I guess I was a little pre-occupied with where our next meal was coming from, at that time.
     Things were going bad. I searched everywhere for a teaching job. I lost 30 pounds. A man with kids to feed and no job is a sorry sight to behold. The first photography job I personally landed was taking group pictures at the HSU band camp, printing black and whites all night in the darkroom, and selling them at the final concert. It turned out good, and helped us get through the summer. Corey, going into the 8th grade, helped me sell. When the concert was over, I told him, ”We made a killing today!” He replied, with deep concern, “Are we rich now?” I had been too busy to notice how much our financial problems had affected our children. Now, 30 years later, I still do that job every summer. It's the only photography job we still do.   It saved us. I guess I am too emotionally attached to it to ever quit it.
     I will always feel indebted to Wendell Evanson, the legendary band director at HSU from that time period, for giving me that job. He never knew he saved us.

No comments:

Post a Comment