Wednesday, February 15, 2012

McCrory: Marijuana in the classroom


       Anyway, let me get back to our story. I think we were at McCrory, Arkansas, when I got off on that house-building tangent.
      A few light moments occurred, over the years, regarding the plants in my biology room. Once, at the end of the school year, I was getting ready to carry out my plants, and Barbara and coach Hart were in my class room. Knowing coach Hart was always open to any kind of physical challenge, I said, "Coach Hart, I'll bet you're not man enough to take this little cactus plant in your hand, and squeeze it into mush." The plant had thousands of tiny, hairlike spines all over it. Had Barbara not been in the room, I figure he would have passed. But he was too much of a man to back off from a physical challenge in front of any woman. He took that plant in both his hands, and squeezed the life clean out of it. He showed no emotion, at all, but I did notice he walked around the next day with both hands open, and turned out.
      I had a large plant stand at the back of my room, just full of plants. I got to noticing at one point, lots of my boys were really getting into plants, stopping by the plant stand and looking them all over good when they came in each day. The interest was spreading. Soon, a large group gathered around it each day. I must really be a great teacher! They were really getting interested in biology! I was so proud.
      One day my student aid took pity on me and clued me in.(Thanks)
She pointed them out. Several small marijuana plants were coming up! Not really knowing what to do with this crop, I pulled the plants and took them over to Mr. Trammel, the principal. When he saw what I was handing him, he pulled his hands back and backed off. "I don't want them!" he said "all right," I said, "You're my witness, and I'm yours!" I said as I tore them up and dumped them in the trash can.
      When I was young, a certain type of Nettle plant was common in the field I had to cross to go swimming in the creek. Every time I accidentally touched it, I just itched for hours! I remembered that plant, when I was teaching biology at McCrory, and transplanted one to my classroom, along with a big sign, DO NOT TOUCH THIS PLANT. Several of the guys just went by it, slyly, and rubbed against it. I could always identify those, because they scratched all period.
      An elderly Doctor's house was robbed in town once, and a human skull was stolen. I, as the biology teacher, and the logical one, was asked to advertise for a human skull in hopes of trapping the thief.Well, I didn't want to, but I finally did. I was tickled when nobody showed in class, a skull in a bag, asking for payment. In my worst nightmares, I could just imagine a student going out and digging one up to make a few bucks.
     I gave Barbara a good camera for her birthday, and our lives began to change forever. She loved it, found out she was good at it, and before long she wanted to do it professionally. She located an old photographer who was retiring, and bought his stuff. He agreed to teach her how to handle the darkroom, and portrait photography in general. “Come back tomorrow, and we will start. It may take several days.” Well, I had to go back to work tomorrow, and I hesitated. Then he said, seeing my doubt, “I'm 70 years old. You don't have to worry about me.” Well, she went back alone, and she learned some about the darkroom, and a lot about old men. When she came home, she said, “I'm not going back alone. You've got to go with me.” We went back together, and he finished up his "teaching" in one day.
      Soon she was doing a lot of photography out of our converted garage. She was too busy, with a full coaching load. She asked to drop her coaching, but keep her teaching job. The boss smiled with satisfaction, then said no. He had finally made her pay the price for her victories regarding girl's sports. She resigned, and he immediately hired a replacement lady to teach her classes, then turned the coaching over to the men.
      I went to have a talk with the superintendent. Asked him why he would not require the new girl's PE teacher to coach, but required Barbara to. He really didn't have a good explanation for that, but we both knew why. After I said a couple more things, he said, “Pat, you're making me mad!' I told him he had already made ME mad. He threw a sheet of paper and a pen to me, said, “If you don't like what I do, write out your resignation.” I told him if he wanted to get rid of me, he would have to fire me. Otherwise I would resign at a time of my choosing. That about wound up our conversation. He didn't fire me. He left before I did, as it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment