Saturday, February 18, 2012

Barbara's big show, Roughnecks, and Big Daddy



Barbara contracted a wedding. The reception was to be held in a blacks only joint in town. Fortunately, it was owned by Ike Brown, a black, a very good man. He was the school janitor, and Barbara's good friend. Ike told Barbara there had never been a white woman in that building before. Told her to stick close to him. She did, and it went good.. Even though this was after school integration, old habits die slowly. Ike told Barbara that a few years ago, a big basketball game was coming up at the white school. Ike was the janitor, and badly wanted to see the game. The superintendent told him he could be there, if he stood on a little balcony at the end of the court, and kept a broom in his hand.
      As summer approached in 1981, I had an idea. The natural gas boom in western Oklahoma was in full swing, and my nephew, Bob Workman, had pulled down the big bucks last summer, working up to 80 hours a week. I decided we could use a strong shot of money, and decided to head that way. I headed out pulling my pop-up camper. I found a park in the middle of the boom area, and soon found a job on a big rig. They were just going "in" when I got there, headed several miles deep. Some of my in-laws were already there. I was in the "Worm's Corner," helping change out the pipe sections as we went deeper and deeper. The first night I was also helping near the actual hole, in the cellar. Right off, I stepped too close to the hole and went into the mud, over my head. When I struggled out, I jumped in a water tank to wash off. That was not just any mud, but a mixture designed to hold the gas down and prevent a blowout. Leaving it on very long could do damage.
      I soon learned the term “roughneck” was given for a reason. That was a rough bunch of people. I rode out to the rig with the driller and the rest of the crew. One morning, the rest of the crew were laughing and talking about what happened the afternoon before, on the way home, after they dropped me off. Seems the driller (the boss) was standing in the cashier's line at a gas station. A woman was in front of him. She suddenly got really mad, pulled a gun out of her purse, yelled, “I'll give YOU something YOU can feel!” Threatened to shoot him, then chased him out to his car. They trailed her when she left, harassed her on the highway. A great group of guys to work with.
      When the 4th of July rolled around, everyone had a good supply of bottle rockets. A war commenced, in the car, front seat against the back seat. Kinda scary, seeing those things circle round and round in the car, knowing it was about to explode somewhere. When I reached home, I had to run real fast and find cover quick to dodge the rockets.
      The job I had was only 40 hours a week, normally, so I never hit the big bucks. And I decided pretty quick I didn't want 80 hours of that! When things slowed a little, as we got deeper, grease gun wars commenced among the crew, and if you didn't watch out, someone might just throw some object off the tower at you. Maybe one that could bash your head in.. Being called a “crazy SOB” was a badge of honor among roughnecks, and everyone tried to be as crazy as possible. My nephew Danny soon came out, and he was hired immediately when the boss was told he was very big, very strong. When astride his Harley, his street name was "Big Daddy." We wound up living together. A small guy was showing off one day by climbing hand over hand up a 30 foot leaning pipe. Danny, weighing 270, crawled right up behind him. Kinda took the luster off the little guy's accomplishment. Danny was a good guy to hang out with, In that roughneck town. Nobody messed with Big Daddy. When Dan was just a teenager, he wanted to arm-wrestle me. Well, he had Harold's strength genes, something I had just missed out on. I saw nothing to be gained by doing that, so I declined.
     When I headed home, at the end of my adventure, I found out I had missed out on a lot. Kinley had learned to swim, and Corey pitched a no-hitter. But Barbara, from what I understood, had out-shown them all, by putting on quite a show on the swimming beach with sister Phyllis, Delton, and the kids. She had bought a Walmart special swimsuit. Coming in from underwater, she walked ashore busily clearing the water from her hair and eyes. Barbara had always hated going underwater for that reason. She failed to notice that one of her two perfectly matching body parts had fallen out, Phillis was too busy laughing, and Delton was too red to speak. She became the focus of the entire beach before she figured out what was going on. When she saw some of those beach people later, she was horrified. But Kinley piped up, “Don't worry. No one will recognize your face!” I missed out on quite a summer.
Kinley went to the Passion Play at Eureka Springs with the church youth group. In the middle of the play, loud thunder and roaring came up, but most people thought it was just sound effects at a critical point in the play, right when Jesus was ascending into the clouds. Golf ball sized hail started falling, and everyone tried to find cover. A leader gave Kinley a chair to put over her, It quickly blew away, and she came home with knots on her head and big bruises on her back. 14 people were hospitalized. Kinley's unnatural fear of storms may have started at that point, but that fear may have saved her life when an F4 tornado put her in its cross hairs a few years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment