Saturday, January 14, 2012

Post 86: Basketball and a Surprise Baby


      One year, I had a fair basketball team, and Ramey, the other junior high in Fayetteville, had a great one. They wound up losing in the finals of the state tournament that year. They had already beaten us twice that year, and I tried to figure out how we could possibly win the third match up with them.
      I started four small guys and a very large, very strong guy. The best physical specimen I had ever seen in junior high. He played inside, and I just kept telling my guys to feed the big guy. Just keep feeding the big guy. He made all his free throws that night, 15 out of 15, and we edged them out. Some of the other coaches around town got mad at me for winning that way, but I figured winning was winning, any way you can, within the rules of the game. I really think some just did not care much for the fact that it put a blot on the record of the best junior high team Fayetteville had in a long time.
      One of my players started at guard for me at 5' 10". His sophomore year, he started growing so fast, the doctor had to put a cast on his back. His senior year, he played guard at 6' 9". Later he started at guard for Kansas State at 6' 10". I've never heard of that, before or since.

      In what turned out to be my last coaching year, I had a good team. I had a tall boy, for junior high, 6' 5”. A very good point guard. We were playing the last game of the regular season, and we were currently 15-0.
It was a close game, against Ramsey Junior High of Ft. Smith. We were down one, seconds to go, and my fast little point guard got his hands on the ball, dribbled through the entire defense, and made a layup. At some point along the way, the final buzzer went off. The crowd was screaming so, even the officials had not a clue if the ball left his hand before the buzzer.
      The officials walked over to the score keeper. He was a teacher at Ramsey, and we were playing on their court. Us coaches gathered round. The moment of truth, and my dream of a perfect season lay in the hands of a teacher from Ramsey.
      The official asked the score keeper, “Had the ball left his hand before the buzzer?” I looked at the face of the score keeper, and I knew. His face told me before he ever said a word. I could tell he was dreading saying what he had to say.“The ball was on the rim when the horn sounded.” I jumped and screamed. We were all so excited, I never got a chance to thank that score keeper for being so honest, and I don't even know his name. I wish I did. A good man. I keep a list of good men in my head, “Pat's Good Men Club.” Normally, my requirements are: (1) Must be over 50. (2) I must have known him for a long time. (3) He must have always, to my knowledge, done the right thing. Now, this scorekeeper does not meet all those requirements, but I still reserve a little blank space, in my club, (Right in the middle of the big blank space in my head) for him. As you might guess, that list is pretty short. And private. Only I know the members.
In the district tournament, we easily won the first game. The second was different. I won't make any excuses here. We just lost.
      We were scheduled in the State Tournament at Hot Springs. We would leave the next day. The night before we were to leave, Barbara pulled a big surprise on everyone. One nobody expected.
She went into labor. The baby was not due for weeks yet. Yet here she was. In Labor.
      I went to see my assistant coach, after I got her placed in the hospital. Told him it was up to him to take the team. The baby should be born in plenty of time for me to drive down.
      Well, Barbara had different ideas. When she goes into labor, she stays there awhile. It lasted 24 hours. The AD had a plane standing by, to fly me down once the baby was born. Kinley was finally born too late for me to drive down, and the airport was fogged in. No small planes out that morning. We lost, and I never coached another game. But I was there when that sweet baby was born, and that's worth a lot more than all the trophies in the world.
      I have absolutely never had any regrets. Ballgames fade in one's memory, but that beautiful daughter was a lifelong thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment