Saturday, January 7, 2012

A&M Conclusion: Dumas in the Delta



      At the end of three years, I realized I could finish up in one semester, with a double major in P.E. and biology, if I took a correspondence course, and a full load. Then I got to thinking, I could work a semester, then finish up in the spring, on time. So I got a job working on a barge on the Mississippi river, and went home to store up my stuff, and build a shed to store my car in. By the time I had finished that, I found out I would be drafted immediately if I dropped out of school, and soon be in Viet Nam. So, I gave up my job and went back to school, just put Viet Nam off until I had finished my degree. I took astronomy, of all things, by correspondence, and I don't remember looking at a single star while doing that. Also, I got a major in biology without ever having taken a single chemistry class. Things were different then. Chemistry was not such a major part of biology studies in 1965.
      I chose Dumas, over in the delta, home of the Ding Dong Daddy, to do my student teaching. Aunt Pearl lived there, but I didn't want to be so forward as to try and impose myself on her, so I got an attic room in a big house 12 miles away. As soon as she found out I was in Dumas, she insisted I move in with her, so I did. At least, this way, it was her idea, not mine.
      It was deer season. I had my 30-30 in my car, so I bought a hunting license.and drove over and parked on the levee, and went down and hunted awhile along the river. On the way out, just before dark, from down in the woods I could see my car up on the levee, and a game warden was parked 30 feet away. I sat down and tried to figure out if I was illegal in any way. No way. I was covered. So I walked up to my car and put my gun away. Then the warden got out. Wanted to see my license. I showed it. Then he smiled and said, "Now, show me your county license." My heart sank. I had never heard of a county license. Turned out, Desha was the only county in Arkansas that required one. He stuck me, and I had to pay a $16 fine. He thought he was giving me a real break, but that amount, at that time in my life, might as well have been $500.
Some of the local young merchants and bankers heard I was a good basketball player, and asked me if wanted to play that night on their independent team against Gould, so I said yes. As we were getting ready in the dressing room, I started noticing that every one of these guys, early 30's, had a roll of fat around the middle. I couldn't believe it. "How could they let themselves get like that?" Little did I know that I, then 21, would be joining their ranks in about 10 years. Well, all these guys, and the other team, were slow, so I got to be the star that night, scoring 35 points. I had a downer when I came out to my car, though. Someone had stolen my license plate.
      That fall, 1965, was the year Dumas integrated. In all my life, I had never gone to school with a black person, or played against one in sports. We had only one black man in Wing, Henry. He was serving a life sentence, and the local politician had got him out to work for him. I walked by his house to go to the store, and we became pretty good friends. He was, actually, the only black person I had ever known when I went to Dumas.
      At Dumas, a couple of black guys came out for football, but the other players made it hard on them. There was a really good basketball player that transferred over from the black school, but the white basketball coach just refused to let him play. I heard he had averaged 30 points per game the year before. The coach got away with it that year, but he soon had to retire. Things were changing.
Toward the end of my student teaching, I drove down to the Delta Dip, the local hamburger hotspot one night. And my life changed forever. Little did I know, as I drove to the Delta dip that night, that the love of my life awaited me there. And I had forgotten to bring my great white Stallion.

Please note: This story is continued on post 44, "Early and Late in 1966," posted 2 months ago. I will continue with my Fayetteville story, next post. Sorry about the inconvenience. I just don't always write in order! Thanks for your time, and your attention. I will be away from my computer about a week. Next post will be around the 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment