Monday, January 23, 2012

The Land of Huckleberry Finn


       We were in a tight. We had very little money. I had to pay back some of the money I had already received at Fayetteville, And I would not get a check at Hannibal for a while yet. I had to ask the superintendent for an advance on my first check. A new administrator piped up. “Well, it looks to me like, if you get an advance, you will just be short the next month too.” I didn't say anything, He didn't know us, so there was no need to try to explain to him that we weren't like that. The boss was wiser, though, and he knew more about life, and people. He gave me the advance. I found a Saturday job with Bleigh Construction, and they paid well, not like the $1.25 an hour construction jobs in Fayetteville. When we got my first check from Bleigh, $75 for one day's work, compared to $30 per week take home for a summer job in Fayetteville, we thought we were rich!
      When I started teaching in Hannibal, I soon got acquainted with two young men, just beginning their teaching careers. One asked me one day, “Do you have a problem with girl students coming on to you?” “No,” I said, “I never have.” He told me that had been a real problem for him in student teaching. He said, “I guess it's because you are older.” Well, I was bouncing near thirty, but I used to be young, and that wasn't a problem then either. He kinda smiled, looked at me sorta sympathetic like, and the conversation ended.
A few days after school started, I was talking to him outside his classroom door during class change. A pretty girl walked out. He swatted her on her backside with his meter stick, she looked at him, and he winked. “My friend,” I said, “I think I can tell you what your problem is.” He had to leave teaching a couple of years later. In fact, because of statements made by that same girl.
       My other young teacher friend was newly married, very excited about teaching. By semester, his excitement was gone. Some students said, he now passed out the assignment, then lay his head down on the desk the rest of the period. After awhile, he was struck with a strange ailment. He would have to stay home for long periods of time, then on returning, the ailment seemed to return. Teaching is not for everyone.
      I was teaching Introductory Physical Science, a new Lab-based science course. I taught that course for six years, six times a day. So, even if it was lab based, it was hard to stay on track if we didn't have a little fun along the way. I always started in the fall being pretty hard core, until I had established who the Big Dog was, then I gradually slacked off that and we had fun. If I had started out that way, they would have taken over. Anyway, I knew pretty quick which kids could take a little joke now and then, and they soon learned that if I pulled a little prank on them, I was fair game. Give and take. Kept things more fun for everyone.
      I had one student who was a really good kid, very smart, and he and I regularly swapped barbs, put downs, and jokes. One day the principal caught him with cigarettes at school, and he was expelled for three days. We had a lab experiment where they hooked up a cigarette to a tube, pulled air through it, then caught the residue on the other end on a cloth, to show them what went into their lungs when smoking. So I always had a good supply of cigarettes on hand. The day this particular student came back from his suspension, We were busy with an experiment. I caught him looking the other way, and I slipped a cigarette under his book. Later, as I came around looking at his work, I just happened to lift his book. He saw the cigarette, and he grew pale. I explained I sure hated to send him back to the principal so quick, but he MUST quit bringing them to school. For his own good. When He left the room, head down, to make that long walk down to the principal's office, I sent another student down there the short way, double time, to head him off at the principal's door, and bring him back. He was laughing when he came back, very relieved, and he took it well. Then, he started working on a plan to get me back, and I'm sure he did.
      I had a little bucket with 6 pieces of paper in it. When someone messed up bad, they had to “Go fish” out of the bucket. Four pieces of paper had some creative penalty they had to do, the fifth said “Go free,” and the sixth was the one everyone longed for. If they drew that one, I had to get on my knees, hold their hand, and beg their forgiveness for picking on them. I have no pride.
      I once had a little book that I kept in my desk, and kept a month's supply of good jokes in it. They helped keep kids from dozing off. Once, a substitute teacher found my little book, and spent the day reading all my jokes to all my classes.
      I dearly loved ninth and tenth grade students. That's really about where my maturity level stopped, anyway, and never went past that.  They were mature enough to be real, but not too sophisticated to laugh at my jokes if they were funny. When I taught twelfth graders, and told a good joke, they never laughed, I was totally greeted by silence. But when they left class, they went out telling it to everyone. Ninth and Tenth graders never treated me that way, and we had fun.
      Barbara started substitute teaching, and when they found out she could handle about any situation well, with THE LOOK, she was kept busy. Our financial problems were over.
The Hannibal School District had just bought a new computer that year, 1973. Big news. The thing took up a room. Once they got it and had it set up, they found out there was nobody in the county who could run the thing. Cost around $50,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment