Thursday, March 9, 2017

49 - Dead Eye Samantha

     He looked deeply into her eyes.  “Samantha, I have one more year in the military. I was told a few days ago that I would be transferred back up north in a few weeks. My work is over here. That will be my last assignment. We can stay in close contact by mail, and that year will go by fast. Then, I can come back here, and we’ll be married. I love you, Samantha. I want to have children with you, grow old with you, right here in Little Rock. He smiled, and they kissed. “How’s that for a plan, Sam?”
      She laughed. Jeff never called her Sam.
      Samantha and Jeff made the most of the two weeks they had. They were together most of the time. Samantha knew she was neglecting Dead eye Sam’s, but she didn’t care. There would be plenty of time to concentrate on business after Jeff was gone. This was their last time together for a year, and Samantha wanted to make the most of it. She knew she was falling even more deeply in love with Jeff each day.

     Jeff felt strongly that they should live together these last few days, so that they would not waste even a moment of their time remaining. Samantha could see trouble coming. Jeff knew how strongly she felt about saving herself for the man she married. She tried to approach this touchy subject in a light way.
     “OK, Bub, then marry me before you go. I’ve never remembered my last name, and I would like for you to give me a name I can hold onto while you’re gone. I will love you forever, just as you love me. What are we waiting for? We still have a few days. I want to be your wife – now!”
     “Well, uh, since we are committed to each other for the rest of our lives, I guess we do have time to do this before I leave, so….Jeff dropped down to one knee, held her hands in his. “Samantha, I love you. Will you marry me….. now?”
     Samantha threw her arms around Jeff. “You know I will, my darling!”
     So, two days later, Samantha became Mrs. Jeff Rowe. Or. Samantha Rowe. However you want to look at it. Finally, she had a last name, and Jeff would belong to her forever.
     Their last day together rolled around. Jeff’s unit would be leaving on the train tomorrow morning. All he knew was, he was headed to Ohio. He would be given his orders when he got there.
     Although their honeymoon was short, only one day and one night, it was wonderful. They were together every minute of the short time they had remaining. It was a night they would remember always. Something they could both hold onto during the long period of separation they faced. And for the rest of their lives. Samantha had never been so happy.
     “I’ll write to you the moment I get to Ohio, Samantha, and find out where I’ll be sent. I love you so much!”

                                             *

   Ten days passed, and Samantha had not heard from Jeff. Ten very long days. She knew the mail was still unreliable. But after a month, and still no word, she was worried sick. She had no way to contact him. Had something happened to him on the way?
     Samantha went to Captain Barrens, now the commander of US forces in Little Rock. Surely somebody could help her.
     “Well, Miss Samantha, The only thing I can think of is a train wreck. A train bound for Ohio ran off th’ tracks a while back, several soldiers were killed. Let me take your information here and send a wire or two, see if I can find something out. Come back in two days.”
     Now Samantha was beside herself with worry. She tried to work, but she could think of nothing else but that train – and Jeff.

     The two days seemed to drag on forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment