Sunday, February 12, 2017

35 -Dead eye Samantha

Just tonight finished the book, but it's still an open manuscript.  Leaning toward Dead eye Samantha. What to you think?

***********

     Samantha had a lot to think about as she walked back to the hotel. She must not overdo this. She was a stranger to Tenny’s mother. Tenny was still just a child. Probably not more than eleven or twelve years old. If her parents think I’m stalking her, they will just cut me off. For now, all I can do is get to know her and her family. After she’s older, I will see her again. Then, we can be sweet sisters. Forever.
     The luncheon went well. Samantha had insisted that the hotel put out their very best china and silverware. It was a huge success. Sara was impressed.
     Samantha hugged Tenny one last time.  “I’ll be leaving  tomorrow on the 9:30 stage. So nice to see you again, Tenny, and meet your nice mother. To tell you the truth, I was worried about you, after all you have been through. But I won’t anymore, now that I’ve met most of your wonderful family. Someday, maybe I will drop by and see you again. I travel a lot.”
     After another round of hugs, they parted. Samantha would love to stay around and see Tenny again, but she knew that would be too much. But she suspected Tenny, somehow, would see her again before she left tomorrow. And when she did, she would have a small package waiting for her.
     Samantha had been right. At 8:30 the next morning, Tenny knocked on her door. They talked for a while. Tenny told her all about their trip to Arkansas. “We met Mr. LaFayette Gillum’s family at the Mississippi River, and came up together to Atkins. I’m sure you remember him. He was the Constable at Taladega. He’s the lawman at Atkins now. Then we moved on up here to Dover. That trip was so much fun, but part of it was scary.”

Author’s note:  LaFayette was, actually, the first Constable of Atkins, Arkansas. He is buried there. Due to a series of mistakes, he had two different tombstones, two hundred yards apart, for many years. I helped correct that situation two years ago. But then, that’s another story. My book, Forever Cry, carries all the details.
     “Since we are secret sisters, Tenny, take this package. If you ever get into trouble, and need me, there’s directions inside for finding me in Little Rock. Also, travel money. Keep this secret package hidden away where you can find it if you ever need me. I’ll always love you, Tenny. You will always be welcome, if you ever get into any kind of trouble. I will be there for you, no matter what. Maybe when you grow up, we can be together more.”
     “Goodbye, Samantha. I will always keep our secrets. And I hope I can see you again, really soon. I love you so much!”
     Two days later, Samantha again stopped overnight at Atkins. She was glad Tenny happened to mention that Marshal Gillum was now the law at Atkins. He had saved her life back in Taladega, and she wanted to look him up and thank him again, and let him know she was not one of those bad Dudley girls; that she was a nice person.
     He was not hard to find. As they talked, she was surprised to learn that the Dudley Clan no longer lived in Taladega County, and that it was suspected they now were in Arkansas, maybe close to Little Rock.
     Lafayette explained. “I captured one of the Clan members before he got completely away. He was carrying a map to Little Rock. I suspect the Clan plans to move their deadly operation up this way. Things were getting a little too hot for them in Taladega County.” 
     This was shocking news for Samantha.  She explained to him how she had ran away from the Clan using money Slim had given her.  How she had dyed her hair and came to Little Rock to keep Slim from finding her, and about her situation now at Little Rock.
     “Samantha, I always knew you were not really one of those bad people. That’s why I worked so hard to get you away from that potential lynch mob.  As I’m sure you know, Slim holds grudges a long time. If he thinks you did him wrong, he will never stop looking for you. I’ll keep my ears open. If they ever show up near here, I’ll send you a telegram. I suspect they will try to operate like they did in Alabama, once they get settled. Send me a telegram if you ever hear of or see any of them. I know the Governor personally, and I will notify him of their situation. Maybe the Militia can deal with them before they get established up here.”
     “In the meantime, I suggest you keep a low profile. Maybe go back to that black hair. Try to see them before they see you. And a restaurant with your name on it? That won’t work. I’d suggest you change the name as soon as you get home.”

     “Thank you, Mr. Gillum. I had thought I was completely done with the Dudley’s, but maybe I’m not. Again, I want to thank you for saving my life. I want you to know I had nothing to do with that killing in Alabama. I was so shocked when it happened, I cried for days. I’ll do anything I can to help you stop those horrible people, except using my skill to hurt or kill somebody.”

No comments:

Post a Comment