Saturday, February 11, 2017

34 - Dead eye Samantha

     “I know how strongly your feelings are about that, Samantha. I respect that. And I love you, too.  Maybe, we need to get back to the coffee.
     Right now, with all this trouble I expect to come up here about the elections, I’m not really free to look too far ahead. After you get back, and things are settled down, we can make plans. Then we can be together forever.”
     Soon, Jeff turned to her and smiled. “I think it’s about time I go. I don’t think I can stay much longer and remain a gentleman.” He smiled at her, reluctantly pulling away.
     Samantha walked him to the door, holding his arm with both of her hands. “Stay safe while I’m gone, Jeff. Hope you get lots more troops real soon.”
    “ Me too, Samantha. And you be careful in your travels. Carry that little pistol I gave you while you travel. Things are dangerous everywhere in Arkansas right now.”
     They kissed, sweetly this time. She closed the door behind him, then threw her arms into the air. “He loves me!”
                                                *

     Sam had long ago planned out this trip, and she knew it would take two days to get to Dover by stagecoach. The first night she would spend at Atkins. It was a small town, but she knew there was a small hotel there.
     She arrived in Dover late the next afternoon. Dover was larger than she had expected, a bustling town. She found a nice hotel, and decided to rest up, starting her search tomorrow.
     She inquired at several businesses the next day, but the search was beginning to seem fruitless. Nobody knew a family named Thacker. Late in the afternoon, she stopped at a small bar to rest. Here, she hit the jackpot.
     The barkeeper, Kade Connor, was friendly. Perhaps a little too much so. But he did know the Thackers. He even knew Tenny. He was helpful, and within half an hour she was knocking on a door. A pretty, middle-aged lady opened the door.
     Samantha smiled, and was attempting to explain to the nice lady what she was doing there, when Tenny walked into the room. Tenny squealed, and ran to Samantha. They hugged, and both had tears in their eyes, which further confused this nice woman.
     “Mama! I met Samantha on the train from Taladega! We rode together for two days! I was so sad, after all that had happened. But Samantha was nice – she made me feel much better. I just love her!” Tenny hugged her again.
     Sara smiled. “James told me about you, and how you and Tenny became such good friends. We really appreciate you helping Tenny. We were worried so about her, and I was  surprised when she got home. She was happy. Now I know why. I have a fresh pot of coffee brewed. Would you like a cup?”
     “Thank you, that would be nice.”
     After a nice long visit, Samantha rose to leave. “I’m  staying at the hotel down the street. I’d love for you and Tenny to come down for lunch tomorrow. About 11 o’clock?”
     Sara hugged Samantha and smiled. “Yes, that would be nice. We’ll be there.”
     Tenny just couldn’t seem to let Samantha go. “Mama, could I walk with Samantha back to her hotel? Could I?”

     Samantha hugged her tightly and laughed. “Tenny, your mother does not really know me yet. I’ll just see you tomorrow, OK?  I’m so glad I found you. I own a restaurant in Little Rock now, and I wanted to tour around Arkansas for a few days. When I got to Dover, I remembered you told me you were moving here. So, I just decided to look you up. I’m so glad I found you so easily! See you tomorrow!”

No comments:

Post a Comment