Thursday, February 21, 2013

SPREADING WING Excerpts

I'm going to be doing a few days of prison ministry, At Pine Bluff, so I will be gone a few days from my computer. I'll put up a new post next week. Thanks for reading!
**********************************************************************

Sister Barbara and I once got to wondering about this Santa Clause thing. We decided that since he came down the chimney, maybe he was holed up in the attic. We crawled up and explored it real well. By the time we had finished, we both needed to go to the bathroom real bad. Well, it was dark up there, so we did. When we came down, there were two brown stains on the ceiling above Mom and Dad's bed. They never went away, and we never heard the last of it.

Taking a bath in the winter time was a major undertaking. We had to haul water up from the well, way down the hill, heat it on the wood cook stove and put it in a round washtub. We took turns, and being the youngest, I was just naturally last. I was nearly grown before I realized bath water was not supposed to be brown. Summer time baths were easy. We had a nice round hole in the rocks down on the creek, a natural bath tub. Once, a water moccasin took over the tub while Dad was taking a bath, and ran him plumb up the hill.

I visited Aunt Lula a lot when I was growing up. I always hollered, “Anybody home?” She always answered, “Nobody home!” She always made the best mackerel salad. Once, she found a dead civet cat in her well, and since it was trapping season she brought it over to me. Now, the civet cat is the first cousin to a skunk, but it had a good looking fur, so I set in to skin it. When I made the first cut, it sprayed all over me. I went in the back door of the house to wash up, and everybody else went out the front door.

Gradually, I graduated to helping Dad in the fields. Once, on Sunday, Dad decided that the corn needed to be fertilized because rains were forecast on Monday. Mom felt real bad about this, because working on Sunday was a major no-no. It was the only time I was ever asked to. She gave me money to go to the store and buy up a good supply of candy for that day. I was carrying a heavy bag of ammonium nitrate, spreading it in the middles, while Dad plowed it in behind me. Now, he was covering two rows at a time, me one. So, I had to move twice as fast as he did. It was a hard day. I figured up at the end I had walked thirteen miles that day, double time. But I sure was full of candy!

A Two Flower Man
There is one man buried in the cemetery at Rover who, though he was not a Gillum or a Lazenby at all, has always commanded so much respect in me that his story must be told. RL Whitten. He was a friend of Elbert Lazenby, Uncle Euriel's son. He almost became a member of the family. When the war came along, Elbert was soon in action, as a radio man on a bomber. His plane was shot down, and Elbert became one of many casualties of war.
RL remained a part of the Lazenby family. Elbert's sister, Delphia, had severe physical limitations. They were permanent, and her life expectations were very dim. As we all would be, she seemed to me to be deeply embittered about her lot in life.
RL started dating Delphia. They soon married, and RL, a nice looking man, a preacher and a teacher, made Delphia his princess. He put her up on a pedestal, waited on her hand and foot all her life, and to my observations as a boy, was endlessly patient, and very tolerant of her mood swings. And, he single handedly elevated her life to a level far above anyone's reasonable expectations.
As a boy, I was around them a lot. This was at a time when cousins still kept close contact with cousins. I never knew what was in his heart, only what I saw, as a boy. He was my greatest example of the supreme servant nature, and I always reserve a little extra time, thinking about RL Whitten, on decoration day. Along with an extra flower.

I have never thought I had a deprived childhood, as some might think when reading this. I had very few material things, compared to children of today. But actually, I sorrow for them. I could walk out my back door, walk forty miles south, and never see a house, maybe never see another person, and never cross a paved road. Now I ask you, what child has a back yard to compare with that? The adventures many children today can only hope to see on television were lived out daily by Tooter, Sammy, and me.

The older I get, the more I respect my Dad, who I only knew as an old man. A really, really hard working old man.
Me being the youngest of my generation, born when my Dad was fifty-two, only I, his helper, know fully how hard Dad pushed himself as an old man. I never told him just how much I respected him, for working so hard and so long, for so many years after he fully deserved to be retired. Retirement, and living the easy life was a luxury he never allowed himself.
Every year I age, and every day I work, I respect my dad more and more.
It would be nice if I could just tell him that, now. Now that I more fully understand what he was going through. But, as a boy, all I could see was that all those long hours of work we did were keeping me from doing something that was more fun, like jogging down to the river and fishing awhile. Or playing ball.
It's almost shocking to me, sometimes, to think that when Dad was my age, he still had eleven more years of hard work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment