Thursday, February 7, 2013

Book Launching and Story Reading

My reading  of my story, "The Summer of my Broken heart," which until recently had been the most-read story of my blog, was recently read at Tales From the South at the Starving Artist Cafe in North Little Rock, Ar. It can be heard on the radio, KUAR 89.1 FM at 7:PM  in central Arkansas.on Valentine's Day. For other areas of the country, The Tales from the South program will be aired at later times. It will later be heard in many countries.
The video may be viewed at this link: www.youtube.com/talesfromthesouth2  Scroll down to the seventh reader.
******************************
The official launching for my book, SPREADING WING was held at Wing, Arkansas, the small mountain community in which I grew up, in the beautiful old church I attended as a child. It was totally wonderful, one of my best days ever! I saw so many old friends of my childhood. My children, Corey and Kinley were there. They met Edith Turner, 90, a life long resident of Wing, who was my mother's friend. My mother passed away when they were infants. Now they are slightly one side or the other of 40. They just stayed close to her, hung on her every word, just could never let her go as she told them stories of their grandmother. Kinley said, "Holding her hand was like finally having the chance to hold the hand of my grandmother." Wow! Corey and several others, at great risk to life and limb, climbed up to the old classroom above. The stairs are long gone. This church was built in 1880, and that classroom has been unused for 70-80 years at least,  nobody living knows for sure. Maybe a lot longer. Nephew Ken Gillum stated, " It was like stepping back in time." The name of my aunt, Leta Lazenby, who had left Wing forever in 1930 was written on the chalk board. It was as plain as if it was written yesterday. Wow!
      The book launching went amazingly well. Those mountain and valley folks always support their own, even one away for 50 years. I'm sure many of them just remembered me as one of the Gillum young'ns. I've now sold out of the first printing, and printing number two is on the way to me. Of course, it's always available on amazon.com. And the Kindle conversion is for sale on Amazon too, US and Europe. Signed books are available in Arkadelphia at Covenant Book Store.
     A book signing has been scheduled for March 9th at the Hastings Bookstore in Russellville, Ar. 1 - 3 PM. Books will be available there as soon as my new order comes in. In Wing, Arkansas, signed editions of Spreading Wing can be found at Gilliland's Store  Wing is not shown on most road maps anymore, but is halfway between Rover and Briggsville on Hwy. 28, 13 miles from Danville. Across the road, wonderful pizza is available on selected days.
  I'll get back to part two of my Ivory Billed Woodpecker story next post. Thanks for Reading!   

1 comment:

  1. Pat, the time for the book signing is listed incorrectly in this article! :) It is set for 1-3 pm.

    ReplyDelete