Tuesday, June 5, 2018

My Story......

Entry number two, Sixty Year Promise Contest.  Written by Cindy Buford.


History will tell you that the Great Depression lasted from October 29, 1929 until 1939.  Times were hard in Wing, AR during that period, and for some years thereafter.  My Uncle, who lived 102 years and 9 months, told me more than once that the Depression started earlier and lasted longer in Wing than in other places.  He was a young man just turned 20 in 1929 and very aware of the starkness and absence of opportunity in Wing.  Many folks in the area left, looking for a better life in the land of milk and honey, California, (now known as the land of fruits and nuts).  
Many of my relatives went to California and were lucky enough to find work.  My parents also made the journey, and I celebrated my 2nd birthday there in 1937.  My Dad could not find steady work, however,  and they decided to make the long trek back to Arkansas.  
Things were primitive in 1937, and towns were few and far between in many places.  My Dad miscalculated on his gasoline supply, and we ran out of fuel on a long lonely stretch of road in Texas.  Night was falling, and Daddy decided he would just have to walk to the next place where he might find civilization.  Leaving my Mom and me in the car, he started out.
When he did find a small community and a service station, he asked for a can of gas and also if someone would take him back to his car.  The men at the station were incredulous.  They were very suspicious of this fellow who walked into their station from the falling darkness, with dust on his shoes.  His clothing was not impressive either, being Camp Reform CCC issued Khaki, well worn as he had been out of the CCC since shortly before my birth.  (I can guarantee you that they were patched, if necessary, and starched and ironed by my Mom's standards. You might be poor, but you would be clean and neat as possible.)
He told them he had to get back as he left his wife and baby out there in the car.
One man said, "Why, there is not a woman in Texas that would let you leave her out there on that road at night!"  
Daddy straightened up his shoulders and said, "Well, she's not from Texas.  She's from Arkansas!"

They got him a can of gas and gave him a ride.

Loucinda Buford
This is short, believe it or not, Pat!  As far as bio, you probably could write mine but I will say I was born in Wing and spent my childhood there, with the exception of about 3 1/2 years during the war and shortly thereafter.  Graduated from FV High School in 1952. and from ASTC (Now UCA in Conway) in January 1956. After retirement, I was fortunate enough to return to Wing for a while.  My heart remains there, and in the Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment