Monday, January 1, 2018

The Truest Friend - The Legend of Tooter (excerpts)



 This book is ready for the publisher.


WHEN THE STARS ARE ALIGNED JUST RIGHT, and God looks on with favor, the length of a boyhood and a good dog’s life pretty much coincide. But in this story, there were heartbreaking problems along the way before Tooter came to me.
     The Fourche River has its headwaters in West-Central Arkansas. The upper reaches of the river flows through a beautiful valley, up to three miles wide, bordered by high mountain ranges on each side. These high mountain ranges, together with the fact that there are no large light sources in the valley, produces some of the darkest skies, and the brightest stars, in America. This is Fourche Valley, one of the most beautiful valleys on God’s green earth, and a wonderful place for this story to take place.
                                                               *
     As Tooter and I lay under the giant oak tree at the river’s edge, he put his head on my shoulder. The woods were quiet upon our arrival.  The sun was moving toward the horizon. We were soon asleep.  Sometime later, we were awakened by a big grey squirrel on a low limb nearby, barking and scolding us for invading his domain. The sun had just touched the horizon, like a huge orange ball, just sitting there in all its glory.
     The forest had come alive in that last hour of daylight. The squirrels scurried here and there, in a frenzy, barking and chasing each other, as they do at day’s first light. An early-awakening owl hooted in the distance. The sparrows were on the forest floor, pecking, gathering in their last few seeds before darkness enveloped us all.
     Tooter still lay with his head on my shoulder. He paid little attention to the animals around us. He had not yet learned of the importance I attached to the squirrel. But I would teach him, when the first cool nights arrived, and the brightly colored leaves dangled on the tips of the limb of the oak, the elm, and the hickory, about to begin their fluttering journey to the forest floor.
                                                                     *

 They were on time. The smell of the fresh meat brought them in just after midnight. I sat by the door with my gun ready. I did not tether Tooter. If it came down to a fight to the death tonight, I did not want him hampered. The fire was burning brightly. With a little help from my carbide light, I could see the red eyes as they sniffed around the cache. My gun was sticking out a loophole I had fashioned, safety off. I would let the traps do their work first, then open fire, though I knew my accuracy would not be dependable in the dim light. If I could just take out Ole Crooktoe, one way or the other, we would have no more trouble from the pack, I figured. The Coyotes were jumping for the bait. I heard a couple of high pitched yelps, as the traps did their job. I could see no sign of Crooktoe. I opened fire, and was answered by more yelps from the pack. Still no sign of Crooktoe.
                                                                   
     Suddenly, something really big crashed into my gate. It was as if the gate exploded into me.  The gun flew from my hands, and I was knocked backwards. As Crooktoe and all the remaining pack attacked Tooter, I searched for my gun. Crooktoe turned his attention to me, and knocked me flat on my back. As I looked up, it was as if my nightmares were coming true. Crooktoe stood over me, momentarily, and all I could see were those black eyes boring into me. He was growling. His fangs, dripping blood, Tooter’s blood, were going for my throat. I wrapped both hands around his neck, and pushed him back with all my strength, but I was losing this fight. He was stronger. As his fangs touched my neck…..

                                                         *
     Dan and I, and our dogs, started concentrating, once again, on squirrel season. One Friday night, Dan and Bandit were spending the night at my house, so we could get an early start on our squirrel hunt the next day.
     About the time we were just getting up and around in order to be in the woods at break of day, our dogs cut loose royally down by the cow pasture. We looked at each other, and immediately put aside our squirrel rifles and grabbed shotguns. I grabbed our old double barrel 12 gauge, Big Dan chose my brother’s 16 gauge pump. We filled our pockets with buckshot, and eased out as quietly as possible. Dad sleeps very soundly just before the break of day, and I could hear him still snoring as we eased out the door. I knew full well, if it was bear problems, and our dogs got on his trail, they would stick to it. Bandit was familiar with bears from his younger days, and he had treed bears before. Tooter would stick with bandit, no matter what. There was no time to wait for Mister Gene, we had to handle this ourselves. We had to be out and gone before Dad woke up, or he would put an end to our plans to chase our dogs down quick. And it could mean the end for Tooter and Bandit.
     We had guessed correctly. A half-grown calf lay dead, and the dogs were on a hot trail toward the North Mountains. This time, The Judge didn’t head across all those ridges he would have to cross in order to get to the main mountain. He followed Stowe Creek right up Wing Holler, right up by Turner’s Store. It was beginning to break day by the time the bear went through Wing, and the old men at the store, who were early risers and were already there drinking coffee, spilled coffee everywhere when they heard Tooter and Bandit coming up the creek. They were just in time to see The Judge disappear up by the spring, and they cheered us on wildly as we jogged a quarter mile behind with our shotguns. They later told us that Tooter and Bandit were pressing him hard, one hundred yards behind.
     Actually, after thinking it over later, I realize they were mainly cheering on the dogs, but it boosted us along into a full run when we came by hearing all that cheerin’. If it weren’t for worrying about our dogs, our heads would be swelling out of sight. We knew everybody in Wing would hear this story by good sunup. They, of course, would call Mister Gene, who would be there soon, but probably not soon enough to help our dogs out much with The Judge.

                                                            *

     Tooter was in a fight to the death with three large coyotes. One had Tooter by the back leg, the other by his front shoulder. The third was attacking Tooter’s midsection, and they were stretching him out between them. I ran toward them, screaming loudly.
                                                                                       *


                                                           ***

No comments:

Post a Comment