Sunday, January 22, 2017

24 - Dead Eye Sam


     Once James and Tenny were seated, Tenny had a chance to look around at all the people on this big train. This was grand! Josh would be so jealous! She couldn’t wait to tell him! A really pretty young woman sat down opposite them. She smiled at Tenny, and Tenny thought she had the prettiest dimples she had ever seen. Then she smiled at James. Soon, they were all laughing and talking. She was so nice. Tenny just couldn’t keep from liking her. Before long, Tenny had forgotten about all the aches and pains from her long ordeal. She had found a friend! Now, her horrible ordeal was becoming a great adventure to Tenny, and she told Samantha all about it.
      They laughed and talked throughout the day. As suppertime approached, Tenny told James she was hungry. Samantha smiled. “Mr. Thacker, If you want to go get food, I can watch after Tenny.”
     So James left. Samantha moved over beside Tenny. She brought her face close to Tenny’s. “I’ve got something to show you, Tenny. I’m wearing a wig.”  She pulled up her brown hair, just a little bit, and Tenny saw she had the prettiest red hair she had ever seen.
     “You and I are red-haired sisters, Tenny. I already knew you were coming to Taladega, and that your name was Tenny. The same people who took you, took me, too, when I was very young. You were supposed to be my little sister. I have something to give you, if you promise it will always be our secret. Then we’ll always be sisters. Promise, Tenny?”
     “I promise, Samantha. This is really fun!”
     Samantha took out a really small pair of scissors, and cut a lock of her red hair. Then she cut a lock from Tenny’s hair, too. She placed them together, tied with a thread. Then she got out a small golden locket, and placed them inside together. She handed the locket to Tenny.
     “As long as you keep this, and never show anyone, we will always be secret sisters.”
     “I will never show anyone, Samantha! I’ve never had a secret sister before! I promise, forever!”
     James came in the coach door, and Samantha moved back to her seat so James could sit down.
                                                     *

      The next morning, James walked back to the stock car to get the horses. They were at the water tank stop where James had caught the train into Taladega days before. Tenny ran to the coach window to say goodbye to Samantha. “Where are you going, Samantha?”
     “I don’t know, Tenny. To the end of the tracks, wherever that is. But don’t worry about me. My family gave me money. They think I’m coming back, but I can never go back to the life they live. But I’m starting a new life, somewhere out there.”
      “We’re moving, too. Papa says we’re going to Dover, Arkansas!”
     “I promise I’ll come see you there, Tenny! I really mean that. After all, we will forever be sisters! Never forget that, Tenny!”
     “I won’t, Samantha! I promised!” They both were crying. The train was moving. Tenny grasped her hand, running alongside the coach as long as she could. Then, she watched the train until it went around the bend. Tears were still running down her cheeks as she walked back to Papa.

     As the train rumbled along, heading toward the end of the tracks, Samantha returned to her seat. She was soon asleep, smiling, dreaming of her sweet sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment