Friday, April 5, 2013

Spreading Wing Chapter One - Conclusion

My brother, Harold, was born in 1931. He was Dad's helper when Dad was in his prime, and he says Dad was much a man. Afraid of nothing, or nobody. When the well at the barn went dry, the mules and other stock needed water. Dad climbed to the bottom of the well on a rope. He lit a stick of TNT, climbed back out. BOOM! We now had water. Once a mare with a colt were in the barn lot with the mules. Mules don't like colts. The mules hemmed the colt up by that well, and the colt jumped into the well to get away from them. Harold saw Dad lasso the colt's leg, and he pulled it out. By himself. Later, the mules caught the colt again, kicked it in the head, and killed it.
Dad and Uncle Arthur had earlier gone in together and bought some land in the Rover "Slashes," then Nimrod Dam was built, and the government took the "Slashes" and other rich crop land. The drought persisted. Soon it became hard to feed a family. Years later, Dad showed me how to build quail traps and rabbit gums, and described little tricks for catching fish when the need is great. Those tricks stay within the family. I still use one occasionally. He told me, "If a person saw a rabbit cross the road, chased by less that two people, we knew times were getting better." After the rains returned, I never again knew of a Gillum eating a wild rabbit. Memories of bad experiences with rabbit fever during the bad times lasted a lifetime. Much had been lost to the Gillum farm, under Dad's watch, through no fault of his own. Dad's solution to the situation was, just work harder and longer. The depression mindset never left my dad as long as he lived. Never buy food that we can grow, or reap from the forest. Buy flour, salt, sugar. That will about do it. Borrow money as a last resort. Store up extra food every year, the rains can go at any time. Always work as hard as we can, every day, except Sunday.

      A large building that was constructed earlier by John Wesley and his boys for storing food they produced, for long periods of time, was perfect for Dad's needs now. It was finished around1920. Dad put a German coin in each concrete step leading down into the cellar. He brought those coins back from WWI. Had it not been for the two headed monster, that building would probably have soon become obsolete, and the Gillums would most likely have bought more and more of their food, like most people of the time. But with these facilities in hand, I think Dad just went back to what he knew worked in his boyhood during the good times, and we stayed there. Grow and store your own food. Living like the 1920's in the 1940's and 50's. Everything considered, it was a good life. Everything, except for the fact that we worked our butts off. All my siblings, and I mean every last one, as they graduated from high school, found themselves spreading wing and moving on to the rest of their lives, far from that farm. This large building had several different compartments, each perfectly suited for its purpose. A smoke house was always filled with three hogs we butchered each fall. Very little was wasted. The hogs produced large tins of lard, lye soap, sausage, mince meat and head cheese. The well cleansed intestines were even used for storing sausage. Everything was used but the squeal. An insulated potato house held hundreds of pounds of potatoes, with lime on them to prevent rotting. Those potatoes had six inch sprouts on them by the time we ate the last one in the spring. The woods were searched for fresh poke weed, "pokesalit'," in the very early spring. Mom later grew it in her garden. The cellar underneath held hundreds of quarts of canned food put up by my mother as she labored over that hot wood stove each summer. Sometimes close to eight hundred quarts per year. Shelves above the cellar held many gallon cans of sorghum molasses. The house was underpinned, and piles of sweet potatoes were stored there. The barn held tow sacks full of peanuts.


      All this, of course, was done in the spare time, working around the really big jobs of putting up enough hay and corn for the livestock. Plus, working the money crop, mostly cotton. That money crop began to play out on that overworked land, and a cotton gin became hard to find, about the time I was born. I remember riding a load of cotton to the gin only once. I must have been around two. In my memory, it seems that gin just sucked my cap right off my head, but I don't believe Dad would ever have let that happen. Power of suggestion, maybe. I have dim memories of a man kidding with me, and he must have said something to that effect. Cattle became, more and more, the main money source as the cotton crop diminished.

     Two milk cows not only produced plenty of milk, but cream, butter, and cottage cheese. During dry years, bitter weeds were about all that was left for those cows to eat. That milk was bitter. A yard full of chickens, usually ordered from Sears and Roebuck, or produced by our own "settin' hens," produced plenty of eggs, and mom was a master of wringing the necks (I remember seeing three or four headless, bleeding chickens flopping about the yard at one time) and producing a great Sunday change of pace meal, fried chicken. One just never knew when the preacher would be dropping in for Sunday dinner, and she was always prepared.

     My older brother, Harold, was at first the family wild meat provider. Fish and squirrel, mostly. The deer had pretty well been killed and eaten around Wing by then. I took over that job at a very early age. Harold went off to college when I was about four, and although Dad was usually far too busy working to teach me how to hunt and fish, Harold helped me some. Dad gave me time and the freedom to wander the hills, bottoms, and the river. I soon figured it out on my own. Never again was Dad's family to be stalked by hunger, as when the two headed monster prowled the land.

      This was the world, and the mindset, that I was born into in 1944. The shadow of that monster was ever present, hovering over me, until the day I also found myself spreading wing and leaving the farm, in 1962.

No comments:

Post a Comment