Thursday, October 25, 2012

President Clinton, Montel Williams, and Dateline

      President Clinton came to town. He was walking up the street toward our business, and a Secret Service dude was ranging out in front. I told him, "You better keep him away from my building. That front wall is going to come down." He looked at me. "today?" he asked. "Well, I hope not!" He looked me over good, then started going through my tool bag around my waist.
Our building would be unusable for a long time, but our equipment was intact. We were in the running for the job of photographing the Arkadelphia Prom. We needed that money badly to help stay afloat. They decided to use the big city photog' from Little Rock. I try not to hold grudges for a long time, but I have to admit that bothered me for some time.  


      Dateline NBC was coming to our house that night to interview Barbara, Kinley, Mickey and I for their segment. Barbara always keeps her house very neat, and takes a lot of pride in it. It was spotless. Well, the Dateline crew descended on our living room, and just changed everything around completely. They moved a couch, and there was a big pile of stuff under it. Mostly shoved there by me, I would imagine. Barbara was horrified! Oh well, at least the cameras weren't rolling yet. That pile got gone quickly. 


      The lights were on, cameras ready to roll, and Fredrica Whitfield was sitting there, smiling, her notebook in hand. Now, me, I'm not always a good spontaneous speaker. Never, I would guess, with a national audience. I could not think of a single intellegent thing to say, the best being a few "uhs" and maybe "duh." I just knew I was about to become a major fool, on national TV.      Fortunately, Barbara interviewed first, and that gave me a chance to settle down some. Barbara did great, as we all knew she would. But every word she said wound up on the cutting room floor, because she was not actually "in" the tornado. I did not say anything profound, but I got through it. At least, the whole town was not laughing at me the next day, not to my face, anyway. Kinley interviewed well, as always, a little gift handed down to her from Barbara. Mickey told of being busy hauling injured people out on doors, etc. while knowing his house had been hit, not able to go there. Also, about the total loss of their house, the loss of a very large number of family antiques. But he jerked a lot of tears with his declaration, "But I got what I most wanted from that house!" Tears on his cheek really set it off, and he was instantly every woman's hero. After the Dateline show aired, they also got a trip to New York to be on the Montel William's show, where they got a new living room and bedroom suite out of the deal. Kinley's back was still bad, so Montel even upgraded them to a first class flight.


      Insurance appraisers descended upon the town in droves one day. Before I knew they had even seen the house, they came to see me, bringing me a check for the total loss of the Crittenden street house. I told them, "The contractor said he could repair it." But for the amount of the policy?" he asked. "Well, I don't know, I haven't got a bid on it yet." Finally realizing I was talking against myself, which is not uncommon for me, I shut up, thanked him, and gracefully accepted the check.  I decided to repair it myself, I did, and three weeks later, it was leased again.


      One day, as I sat on top of that house putting shingles on, I sat a while just looking over all that destruction with a bird's eye view. It still had a pink cast to it, from all the insulation lying around. FEMA was doing a great job, hauling off the waste. I had heard this town was the first one in which they went onto private property, instead of requiring the landowners to haul it to the curb. This was back in the days when FEMA was still run by a good ole' Arkansas boy from Danville, and it was getting done right. Volunteers from everywhere were all over down there, chain saws going. I looked down at the nice little lady, trudging along the street, pulling her little red wagon filled with cold water for the workers. She had been doing that for days and days now. I didn't know her, but I wished I did. I just lost it, and sat on that roof bawling like a baby for my town.


      The neighbor across eighth street were not as lucky as I. His house was just a pile of rubble, along with two other small houses his dad owned. That was to be his inheritance, he said. His dad came to town, and they set in to rebuild it themselves. They worked endlessly, day after day—Even the young children. Every plank was pulled out, the nails removed, stacked neatly. When I had finished my house, I asked the dad, a tough old man from the old school, if I could help. He thanked me, then said, "As sure as I do start letting people help, someone will get hurt, then they'll be sueing me, sure as the world."



      They finally got ready to put the top on, but there was just no plywood to be had in town. They were stalled. Then I remembered. I had some plywood in a storage building, and I knew it would just about be the right amount for that small house. I told him I would give it to him if he would let me help. The Dad was in a bind. No top for his house, and it was supposed to rain in a day or two, or risk getting sued. I told him, "Now look! I've built three houses, almost completely by myself. I've worked on these rent houses of mine for years. I don't get hurt, and I wouldn't sue you if I did."


      He just looked me over good for a long time, started shaking his head, grudgingly agreed, and walked off, muttering about getting his pants sued off. I got up on the house, drove a nail, then took a step. My right foot slipped off a 2x4 down to another, 3 inches or so, and my sometimes trick knee gave out, and something went bad wrong with my foot. Good grief! What could I tell that dad? So I didn't tell him. Just said I had to run an errand, but he knew by the way I was hobbling what the problem was. I knew he thought I was headed for my lawyer's office. But, I drove to the emergency room. Seems my big toe had popped out of place.


      The doc came in, gave me pain shots.But I had been wearing the same pair of tennis shoes every day since the tornado, three weeks, and my bare foot smelled really ripe. Rather that endure all that waiting for the pain shots to kick in, he just grabbed my toe and yanked it back into place. I thought about screaming, but decided against it.  


      When I got back out to the house, I was not going to be able to climb for a while, so I just had to fess' up to the old man, who was eyeing me hard. I again gave him another promise not to sue him.                Continued    Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment